Thursday, February 24, 2011

Clean Plate Club


When you’re little, everyone encourages you to be a member of the Clean Plate Club. Eat all your veggies, try it and you might like it, and so on. And, as we know, ‘membership has it’s privileges’ so if you’re successfully initiated into the Club, you get a fantastic reward, which is usually a fun, yummy dessert or an extra few minutes of television time before bed.

Fast forward twenty-five years or so… for me, the Plate Club is now something entirely different.

I’m a busy gal. I don’t think anyone would argue with me on that. My boss has been heard more than once remarking, “You have more than you can say grace over.” I often wonder if there’s a desk under all the papers piled up in my office. I question how I’ll finish all the projects and tasks that are on my work to-do list. Outside of the office, I’m trying all sorts of new things, and I’m having a great time but a lengthy night’s sleep has become the exception rather than the rule. I am, without a doubt, a card-carrying, office-holding, founding-member of the FULL Plate Club. And most days, I believe my full plate needs a salad plate, and a dessert plate, and a soup bowl to hold all of my activities and commitments. But, to be quite candid, I wouldn’t have it any other way.  I think I’d lose my mind if I actually had a clean plate again.

As I venture outside my box, I discover new things yet I’m not willing to give up any of the old things I love so my tastes just become more varied and diverse as time goes on. As I’ve said before, maybe I’m finding myself or maybe I’ve already found myself in a million tiny places. But now that I have so much going on, inevitably things overlap and I struggle to decide what to do and what to skip. If anyone can tell me how to be in two places at once, I’m all ears!

On the drive home tonight, while I was thinking through my plan for the evening and the weekend, I thought about how many things are on my calendar in the upcoming months. It’s a little overwhelming but it’s also very exciting. Today, I added three more fantastically exciting adventures to the list. I won’t spoil the surprises but buckle up tight, blogbuddies, you’re in for quite a few surprises! (There is absolutely no doubt that 2011 is going to be Something More!)

No comments:

Post a Comment