Monday, February 7, 2011

Celebrity Weekend

I missed yesterday’s Monday Music Review because I was happily stuck in the memory of Friday night and wasn’t ready to move on. Surely you understand; it’s not every day that I get up close and personal with the likes of Christian Kane, Steve Carlson, and Bill Gentry. But did my weekend of fun, yummy celebrities end on Friday night?


Absolutely NOT.

Saturday night, I worked as the timekeeper for a mixed martial arts event and the referee was none other than UFC veteran Dan Mirogliotta. If you’ve seen Dan, you know he’s larger than life; if you spend any time with him, you’ll quickly realize he’s as friendly of a character as you’ll ever meet. If someone had told me a year ago that I’d be passing notes with Dan Mirogliotta during a heavy metal concert, I would have laughed. But that’s just what happened. There was a mini-concert before the fights and kid you not, in the 45 minutes of “music”, I couldn’t tell you one word that was said, err, screamed. As fantastic as Friday night’s concert at Johnny & June’s was, the band (who will remain nameless because my mama tried to teach me if I can’t say something nice to not say anything) on Saturday night was equally horrible. And Dan thought so too. We even contemplated taking them out. I had pepper spray; he had guns, I’m pretty sure they’re fully automatic. Check out the photo, you decide. We contemplated it on paper because we couldn’t hear a darn thing. I saved the paper; sometimes I’m so junior high. At the end of the night, we snapped a photo and night two of my wonderful meet and greet weekend came to a very happy ending.

 


And then there was Sunday, when I got a friend request on facebook from Riley Smith. Who? I didn’t know either but the message said, “I’m a friend of Christian Kane...” It said more than that but it didn’t really matter; any friend of Christian Kane is a friend of mine. Has anyone else figured out that CK is the center of the universe? Anyway, I don’t know how he did it but I was super excited that he found me. I was feeling a little special (yeah, I know, it’s the little things!) As it turns out Riley Smith is the lead singer of a band, Life of Riley, and he’s great. He’ll be the music review next week but I have to do a little more research on him first. As luck would have it, someone on Riley’s page posted that we should wish him well because he’d injured himself. As an eager and caring new fan, I posted a ‘Get Well Soon, Riley!’ on his facebook page and a friend I haven’t met yet asked me what happened to him. Wouldn’t you know it, Riley Smith actually wrote back with a thank you and an explanation of what happened (he ruptured a disc while playing basketball, in case you wondered). I was feeling a little more special. Friend of Riley Smith is a pretty cool thing to be.

And then we move on to today. I was jammin’ out to Bill Gentry’s six pack of songs from his website in my office but I was craving a song I’d heard him perform on Friday night. I couldn’t remember the name of it so I went to the holy grail of information- facebook. I left a message on Bill’s page asking anyone who’d been at the concert to send me a link to the song. Guess who responded?? Bill himself! Although I was disappointed to learn the song isn’t out yet, he did say I’d have to come back to his shows to hear it again and then I got an emoticon wink! Oooohhhhhh, a wink from Bill Gentry. We’ve now arrived at feeling beyond special! Friend of Bill Gentry is a very cool thing to be.

 
So, there you have it; four days of close encounters with fun yummies. This is a pretty good streak I’ve got going. I wonder what tomorrow will hold…  

No comments:

Post a Comment