Monday, November 7, 2011

Leaving the Light On

Almost three months into the Happily Ever After of married life, I find myself spending a lot of time these days pouring over engagement pictures and wedding photos and honeymoon snapshots, missing Robert, reliving the memories and daydreaming about what the future might hold.

While we said from the beginning that the marriage was more important than the wedding, we did try to make our wedding day unique but not weird, and special but not silly. The best compliment we’ve gotten (and we’ve heard it more than once) was that “the wedding was so ‘you guys’.” It was fun and relaxed and simple… simply perfect. If we had to do it over again, I wouldn’t change a thing.

And three months later, the uniqueness that has come with doing everything a little outside the box continues.

Some brides donate their wedding floral arrangements to hospitals or retirement homes, never to see them again. Some brides press their flowers in a heavy book and then wonder what to do with the flattened florals over time. And some brides know the well kept secret (or their moms do, at least) of Victorian Seasons in Apex. This weekend, my bridal bouquet was returned to me (thanks, Mom!) in a fantastically amazing way. The fun folks at Victorian Seasons embedded my bouquet flowers into a candle, one lit by a small light bulb so that the ‘candle’ never actually melts. What a special way to remember a special day!

Since Robert deployed, I’ve been counting the days until he comes home. I might just be in a sentimental mood today but it’s very comforting to know that our wedding flowers are helping to ‘leave the light on’ for him. I miss you, love; come home soon. I'll be right here waiting.



No comments:

Post a Comment