Monday, August 29, 2011

Say It In Pawns

When we checked into our room at The Reach Resort and the staff learned we were there on our honeymoon, our room was upgraded to a suite that overlooked the beach and a courtyard.


In the courtyard was a giant chess set; we watched people play throughout the week and were quite surprised at the number of people, especially little kids, who actually know how to play chess. I thought it was sort of a lost art but apparently not. I remember learning how to play in elementary school but it took a little refresher lesson from Robert to bring me back up to speed.  After running some commentary on unsuspecting players as we watched from our balcony, I remembered why I forgot how to play in the first place. It confuses me and requires entirely too much thought. The chess pieces, however, caught my attention and it didn’t take long for a little plan to be hatched.
The next night, under the cover of darkness (a little too much cover, given how the photos turned out), and a few nights after that, I snuck down to the chess game like some sort of stealth-mode spy and move the pieces to spell out secret messages to Robert who sat on the balcony with the camera. It was probably a corny thing to do but at the time, it seemed sweet and flirty and fun. I kept waiting for a staff member to tell me to put the pieces back where they belonged; but I took the risk- I'm just a rule-breaking rebel like that!
Love

It's difficult to see but... I Heart U



 You'd think I would have figured out that the white pieces should have
gone on the left side of the message, since the light was brighter on the right...
R + M
And, let me just tell you… there are only 32 pieces on a chess board so coming up with a message that is both easy to understand and easy to create is not as easy as you’d think. Take your own chess set (or checkers or backgammon or whatever board game you love) and try it at home. Anyone can say “I love you” to their spouse or their kids; it takes a special something to say it in pawns. J

No comments:

Post a Comment