Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pull Up a Chair at... Simon'z

It’s been a while since I’ve invited you guys to pull up a chair at a restaurant you may not have tried. Truth be told, I’ve been packing my lunch lately and when I have been out, I’ve either forgotten my camera or I find myself at a tried and true favorite that you’ve already heard about.
Several weeks ago, when Robert and I went to the Bike Fest, we noticed a car with a sign that said “Follow me to Simon’z” so Friday night, we finally got around to checking it out.
Simon’z is a locally owned and operated restaurant and catering company that has been open for about two years on South Broad Street in downtown Angier, near the park with the gazebo (if you’re familiar with the area); if you didn’t know it was there, you’d miss it. There are maybe 10 tables in the main dining room but Simon’z also has larger rooms that appeared to be perfect for meetings or larger gatherings.
The waitress was friendly and the food was great! Simon’z has a wide variety on the menu- everything from salads and sandwiches to steaks, pork chops and seafood. We had an appetizer platter of cheese sticks, homemade ranch chips, wings, and onion rings. I’m not typically a fan of onions but these rings might just make me change my mind. And the dipping sauce… wow, the perfect amount of zing to be spicy but not overpowering. The ranch chips, with a perfect sprinkling of seasoning- I could have eaten just those and been one happy camper.
When you’re reviewing a restaurant, it probably works best when everyone orders something different but Robert and I violated this cardinal unspoken ‘when blogging about food’ rule and both ordered the cheesesteak sandwich. We were not disappointed! We seem to eat cheesesteak a lot and I’d venture to say that Simon’z is among the Top 3 (if not higher) of all that we’ve sampled as of late.
We did check out the dessert menu but with the appetizer and the size of the sandwiches (I ended up taking half of my sandwich and most of the fries home), we were too full to sample Simon’z homemade cakes and pies. Maybe next time… and rest assured, there will be a next time. J
Simon’z is indeed a hidden treasure; there was no wait, the service was fast, the food was fantastic, and the prices were reasonable. We highly recommend it. Keep in mind that Simon’z is closed on Mondays but kids eat free on Tuesdays with the purchase of a regular meal and Simon’z supports military families by giving a 10% discount to active service personnel.
There’s just something special about supporting local businesses; I believe we’ll make Simon’z a regular stop on our date night rotation. If you see us there, swing by our table and say hello… but don’t even think about stealing an onion ring off our appetizer plate. J

No comments:

Post a Comment