Sunday, April 3, 2011

Monday Music Review: Andy Lange

Monday Music Review on Sunday? Yes, because Monday comes quickly and I want you to be prepared in the morning when you roll out of bed in need of coffee and a good tune to get you moving. So, for this blog, the Monday Music Review comes a day early because it’s my party. And that’s the way I want it.

You all know that I think Christian Kane could very well be the center of the entertainment universe. We’ve talked about his music and his movies; we’ve yet to cover his television show, Leverage (which premieres for Season 4 on June 26 on TNT, by the way), but maybe we will soon. I’m sure you’re wondering what a TV show has to do with the Monday Music Review.

Wonder no more. It might be the extra long winding road, roadside taco stand pitstop type of scenic route but I do always get you where we're going sooner or later, don't I?

A few weeks ago, I was watching a DVR’d episode of Leverage; Nate and Sophie were this close to kissing and even though I’d seen the episode before, I was on pins and needles that they’d finally give in to the fact that they’re meant to be together. In the background, the song lyrics floated by... “I’m not sure yet about life, about love, but in time, I’m sure everything will be fine.”  Simple, profound, and hopefully foreshadowing a Happily Ever After for Nate & Sophie.

A little research led me to find the song, Not Sure Yet, and to discover the man behind this lyric, Andy Lange. Welcome to my infinite playlist, Andy.

Andy’s website says his music is a “brilliant confluence of catchy melodies”. I’m not exactly sure what a confluence is but it might have something to do with the fact that Andy Lange separately sings, plays keyboard, strums guitar, and creates other instruments out of objects that weren’t created to be instruments (think 5 gallon plastic buckets as drums). He then overlaps them to make a finished song. I find that fascinating but I also wonder how being a true one-man band works out for a concert. I guess Andy sings and plays one instrument while the sound magicians handle the rest. Maybe one day, I’ll find out live and in person.

Andy reminds me of a cross between Matt Nathanson and Jack Johnson, with clear and simple lyrics, soothing melodies, and a fragile vulnerability that makes me want to find Andy and give him a hug.

Every time I youtube Andy Lange, I find a new favorite tune (many of which are collaborations with a guy you’ll learn about next week). For this moment, my favorites are:

Hold It Against Me: This song is, to be candid, simply perfect. It’s romantic, it’s sweet, it’s unconditional. With the lyric, “You feel like paradise and I need a vacation tonight”, it’s a song you’d use to slow dance in your living room with the person you want to spend the rest of forever with. They say French is the “language of love”; if this sign language interpretation of Hold It Against Me in the link doesn’t make you rethink that notion, nothing will. Simply beautiful.

Wherever: This Lange tune is the ultimate in escapism, with the sweep-you-off-your-feet words every girl wants to hear: “I wanna get you out, I wanna take you away from there, wherever you want to go”. If he'd talk to me like that, I'd probably go just about anywhere with Andy Lange too.

and…

Don’t Lose Your Light: With the sweet sentiment “You’ve turned me around so much I’ve lost track. Maybe someone already wrote a long song about you”, this Lange song had me hooked because, let’s face it, nothing under the starry sky is more romantic than being the object of someone’s love song.

I don’t know where Andy Lange gets his creative inspiration but he makes me want to watch a romantic movie or write a sappy love letter where all the i’s are dotted with hearts. I’m off to find some stationary and my good writing pen. Until next time, friends, make today… Something More!

No comments:

Post a Comment